Microsoft Outlook is an email client with a large number of users. Besides providing email service, Outlook also offers Contacts and Calendar services. People with multiple email accounts often configure other IMAP accounts in Outlook. In this way, users can access those IMAP emails from Outlook interface. All the Outlook data is valuable to its users and people tend to take proper security measures to protect the data. If you have IMAP accounts configured in Outlook 2013/ 2016, all its data is stored in OST file. In order to protect your OST file data from accidental deletion or virus attack, it is advised that you backup Outlook 2016 / 2013 IMAP contacts, calendar, tasks This Computer Only to your hard drive.
Data backup is done as a protective measure during critical situations but having backup in OST format is a big no. The reason is OST files are only functional on the native systems. If the necessity arises to use that OST data file to another machine, OST file will not work. That is why, it is better that you keep a save Outlook IMAP calendar and contacts in a PST file. Thus, a third-party application is required to convert OST file to PST file format so that entire data can be backed up in a secure and reliable way.
What Can Harm the Contacts and Calendar Data of IMAP Account
IMAP account data are stored in the OST file of local system. OST file data can get damaged, lost or corrupt due to these reasons:
- Accidental data deletion
- Virus infection
- Formatting without backup
- OST file getting detached from IMAP account/ Outlook profile
Importance of Protecting Outlook IMAP Contacts / Calendar This Computer Only
To fully understand the significance of saving contacts / calendar data of IMAP Outlook data, readers need to understand what is happening with IMAP data of Outlook 2013/ 2016. We suggest you to read this segment carefully.
In Outlook 2010 and its earlier versions, contacts and calendar data of IMAP account used to get stored in a separate PST file. Therefore, it used to be easy to back up these data by saving a copy of the PST file to another location or device. But since Outlook 2013 version, complete data (emails, contacts and calendar) of an Outlook profile is saved in a single OST file.
What usually happens in case of OST file is that similar data is stored in the server. We can also say that the IMAP account data stored in the Server has its local backup in the form of OST file. The main problem begins that the Outlook 2013, 2016 IMAP contacts, calendar, tasks are saved only in the OST file. Yes, you read it right.
You will see that the calendar and contacts folders of Outlook IMAP accounts have “This Computer Only” written beside their names. It means that these data are only being saved locally, with no copy of them in the IMAP Server. Thus, contacts and calendar data of IMAP Outlook accounts are more vulnerable than IMAP emails.
The drawbacks of OST file play a major role here. Since OST file does not work on any other system, copying the IMAP contact/calendar data in another OST file is not a viable option. So, to backup Outlook 2013 / 2016 IMAP contacts / calendar This Computer Only data, the users have to adopt some effective measures.
How to Save Outlook IMAP Calendar / Contacts This Computer Only
Users who are willing to protect their contacts and calendar data in IMAP Outlook 2013 / 2016, they can try various methods. The best way of IMAP calendar/ contacts backup is to move the data of these two folders to a new PST file. Now the question arises, how do we create this new PST file?
- Traditional Methods: Conventionally, people create Outlook data file using the internal options of Outlook.
- Open Outlook and click on Home tab. Select New Items >> More Items and finally select Outlook Data File. Then give a name to the PST file and save it in a suitable location. Copy your OST file data in this PST file.
- Launch Outlook and select File tab. Then click on Info >> Accounts Settings >> Account Settings. Now, you have to make this new PST file default for the current Outlook profile. In this PST file, IMAP calendar and contacts data will be stored.
- Latest Method: As we can understand, conventional methods are not so efficient to save the IMAP account contacts/ calendar data. However, in the world of technology, constant research is going on to make things convenient for the users. Similarly, new technology has arrived to backup Outlook 2016 IMAP Contacts This Computer Only data from any type of data loss. SysTools OST to PST Converter Tool contains the state-of-the-art technology that can easily convert contacts and calendar data of IMAP accounts saved in OST file into PST. By converting the OST file, the users can open OST file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010. Here are some of the reasons why you should choose OST to PST Converter.
- Standalone application that does not need MS Outlook
- Original metadata maintenance of the source OST file
- Complete OST file previewing before data conversion
- Selective data migration facility with date filter option
In this write-up, we have learned the importance of safeguarding IMAP account contacts and calendar and how to protect them. To protect Outlook 2013, 2016 IMAP Contacts Calendar This Computer Only, users have to convert them in PST. People these days tend to use the latest technique to save OST contacts and calendar which is OST to PST Converter. This application offers users a hassle-free way to save data in PST format that can be used as a backup.