Dental implants – 6 Reasons why they are so popular worldwide
Despite rapid progress in the dental care, thousands of people in the country suffer tooth loss – mainly due to injury, tooth decay, lack of proper dental hygiene, and periodontal disease. For several years, the only solutions for the people with missing teeth were dentures and bridges. Thankfully, nowadays dental implants are available. People have better options than dentures and bridges.
What do you mean by dental implants?
Dental implants are nothing but replacement tooth roots. They provide a strong base for the replacement teeth (fixed or permanent) that are artificially made to match your natural teeth. Usually, dental implants have a success rate of 98%. If an individual takes proper care, then dental implants can even last lifetime.
Who can go for dental implants?
If you’re healthy enough to undergo a routine dental surgery or tooth extraction, then you can go for the dental implant. You should have a strong gum and bone to hold the dental implant. You should also have good dental hygiene and a commitment to consult a dentist periodically.
Patients suffering from chronic diseases like diabetes or heart problems need to get special care. If you have had radiation therapy in the head or neck area, then you need to consult a dentist immediately. The dentist can guide you in the right direction. He can tell if you can go for dental implants.
6 Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants have multiple benefits. Here are a few of them.
- It helps you eat properly: Sometimes, it becomes tough to chew food due to sliding dentures. Dental implants function just like your natural teeth. You can eat all the foods without enduring any pain.
- It improves your look: As I have said earlier, dental implants look just like your natural teeth. They fuse with your bone and become permanent teeth. It helps to improve your appearance. You can eat, talk, and smile confidently.
- It helps you talk clearly: Bad dentures can ruin your facial expression and affect your speech. Your teeth might slip inside the mouth and make you slur your words. Dental implants solve this problem and help you speak clearly.
- It lasts for a long time: This is perhaps the best part of dental implants. They can last a lifetime if you are cautious and take proper care of them.
- It is a convenient option: Removable dentures don’t give you a permanent solution. It’s messy. You may have to use adhesives to keep them in place. But dental implants give you a permanent solution. This is why it’s considered a convenient option.
- It improves your dental health: Dental implants don’t need modification of the nearby teeth, which is usually required in case of a tooth-supported bridge. Since the dentist doesn’t need to alter your teeth, so more of your natural teeth remain intact. This helps to improve your dental health.
Are dental implants too painful?
Most individuals who have gone for dental implants say that the process is not painful. Usually, patients are given local anesthesia. Patients say that dental implants procedure is less painful than a tooth extraction. Mild soreness can be easily cured with medications like Tylenol.
How much do they cost in India?
Dental implants are quite expensive in the country. You may have to spend between $30,000 and $50,000 depending on the type of implant you have chosen and some other factors including:
The quality of the material you have chosen
The design of the dental implant
The number of teeth
Dental implants are costlier than dental bleaching or dental polishing. If you want to opt for dental implants, then try to find a good dental clinic that charges a reasonable rate. Most dental clinics are equipped to undertake this kind of advanced procedure.
It takes almost 12 months to complete the total dental implant procedure. You have to wait for 6 months after the implant is placed for complete healing, The crown will be placed only after that. So you have to be patient. You have to take care of dental implants just like real teeth. You have to floss like a boss, rinse your teeth with a good mouthwash, and go for a regular dental check-up.